Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What Are the Risks of a Colonoscopy? Find Out Before You Undergo This Delicate Procedure!

I had my first colonoscopy when I was 22 years old. Needless to say I was quite terrified and had a long conversation with my Doctor regarding the procedure and all the risks involved. Just so we're clear, the colonoscopy is an exploratory procedure to gain access to the large bowel in search of blockages and irritation which may be causing the symptoms reported to the Doctor.

One thing to keep in mind is the small percentage of risks involved with this procedure. The biggest concern is what's called a bowel perforation. This is where the Doctor makes a mistake and pokes a hole in your large intestine with the colonoscope. This is a very serious complication but thankfully doesn't happen very often. The best way to prevent this is to have an experienced gastroenteroligst perform the procedure so that you will be in great hands.

Most of the fears of having a colonoscopy are valid but really aren't a big deal once it's over. I'll be honest, as a 22 year old male my biggest concern was the Doctor inserting the scope into my rectum as I was really unsure how that would feel.

Here's the best advice I can give anyone who's fearful. Talk with your Doctor and really explain to them you'd prefer to be sleeping when they are doing it. Some of them are done with no sedation, others are done with mild sedation. I was out cold.

The hardest part of the entire thing will be the preparation. There's nothing more invigorating than drinking some nasty solution that makes you stick to the toilet for 8 hours straight. However if you were like me, and were already on the toilet all the time anyways, this won't be much of a big deal.

Just relax, and talk with your Doctor. Give him your concerns and everything will be great.

Want more information on the dreaded colonoscopy? Click Here and get the information you are desperately seeking! Alternatively, you can visit the http://online-cancer-guide.info and get all the Cancer information you need.

No comments: